Wednesday 2 May 2012

A collection of beautiful full-length performances

One of my favorite things to do is go onto Youtube and discover new music, or new recordings of music I already know and love. I often like to favorite interesting-looking clips to listen to later - I sort of 'queue' music videos in my favorites.
One of the frustrating consequences of the way Youtube works, however, is that it can be very hard to find full performances that are not split up into 3 or 4 (sometimes more!) separate videos. So recently I decided to create a playlist to which I can add full-length recitals or pieces of music to when I find them. Then, whenever I feel like listening to a lengthy piece of music, I can just go the the playlist and take my pick of beautiful performances.
I thought it would be nice to share this collection with everyone. At present it consists of a diverse mixture of Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, Reich, Ravel, Bach, Gershwin, Prokofiev and Shostakovich (all works of theirs which I like, obviously!) Some of the works are split into 2 or 3 parts, but most are single, long clips.
The playlist will definitely grow and change over time as I find new videos to add, and possibly as some videos are deleted. Although I can't guarantee the legality of some of these recordings' presence on Youtube, like the users who uploaded these videos I simply want to share what I think is a great resource with fellow music lovers and musicians on the Web. Happy listening!

Here is a link to the playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB2940B24A7CAE74A&feature=mh_lolz

No comments:

Post a Comment